[Blindmath] "Spoken Mathematics on the Web" - Chromevox

Kevin Fjelsted kfjelsted at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 16:53:00 UTC 2013

There was mention in the latest release notes for ChromeVox that  Braille support is being developed.

At this point other than the beginnings discussed for  ChromeVox I am not aware of any web browser for windows or Mac that will present MathML in either Braille, or speech.

THe design science MathPlayer supposedly   does this, for some versions of IE under Windows however my  attempts to get this working have never succeeded.
I definitely agree that Braille is preferred, however this then requires a Braille display which is out of  reach from a cost perspective for many.
My recommendation is that for those who are interested to join the ChromeVox access group that Google has set up and present views on what direction should be taken. Both of the  developers mentioned in the video participate on this list.
The group name is axs-chrome-discuss at googlegroups.com. If we don't participate and provide feedback we are much less likely to have any influence.
I like the IOS approach because I have a Braille display and so far from what I have seen the nemeth translation from a MathML web page is way far ahead of anything else that is in a consumer product. The speech exploration does fine for me and I don't personally get hung up in inflections or anything complex for speech because I know I can resort to Braille.

-Kevin