[Blindmath] Regarding Maths examinations

Sean Tikkun jaquis at mac.com
Sun Oct 6 22:40:44 UTC 2013

Some of the more challenging elements of Geometry involve relative position and the concept of angle. An angle defines a distance, but that distance is not tactual if you no not place an arc labeling the space.  An arc is a curved line extending between the two rays defining the angle.  Questions may also require a student to identify complimentary or supplementary angles based purely on the picture.

I'm not sure the form of your textbooks, but American books at the secondary level are going more towards algebra and abandoning proof based logic.  If properly prepared proof based logic problems, while challenging, could be made accessible.  The algebraic trend combined with computer based tests promises to be a growing dilemma without tactile diagrams to supplement the screen questions.

Some requests you may make:
1. All diagrams must be provided as tactile diagrams transcribed with braille and including arc markings to identify relevant angles to the problem.
2. Any question involving information to be extracted from the diagram and involving relative position of geometric constructs must be reported as a 'given' for the problem. (this may include transversals of parallel lines, vertical angles, supplementary angles, complimentary angles as examples)
3. Additional time is necessary, as tactile discrimination of diagrams is more time consuming and cognitively constructing diagrams from parts to a whole is a more challenging exercise than visually glancing at a picture.

The third one I don't have research proof of, but hope to in a couple years.  1 & 2 I believe are commonly held best practices.  I welcome any comment or criticism as I've seen some more prominent minds than mind weigh in lately.

-Sean Tikkun