[Blindmath] HumanWare's KeySoft 9.4 for BrailleNote Apex to include NEW Nemeth Braille option

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 11 18:54:13 UTC 2013

I was curious about this and the only way I could find to get more details
was to listen to the archive of a recording of the HumanWare webinar given
Sept. 26.  I don't recommend doing this unless you need to know the latest
for their VictorStream and Apex.  I couldn't find any way to avoid listening
to the entire hour before there was a bit about the new Nemeth option at the
end.

Here's what I learned about the new option.  When a student is typing a
default braille document on an Apex, they will be able to enter a new
special keystroke which inserts a tag into the document to flag a switch to
Nemeth math.  If speech is on, then what is entered during Nemeth math will
be spoken using something like Nemeth MathSpeak.  Also, if the document is
saved as a print Word document, the narrative text and the math will be
interpreted.  However, the interpretation or backtranslation of Nemeth math
is only to the Apex ad hoc horizontal or linear math, not to properly
typeset print math. So, for example, a Nemeth opening simple fraction
indicator is written in print as "openfrac."  As best as I could tell, they
failed to include the corresponding closefrac but I may have misunderstood.

It also appears that not all of Nemeth math is covered but just the subset
of Nemeth math in the Apex Nemeth tutorial that is already available on the
Apex.

SusanJ