[Blindmath] Writing Math

John Gardner gardnerj at onid.orst.edu
Mon Oct 7 03:36:55 UTC 2013

This list has been amazingly fertile lately with information about new and
ever better technologies for reading math.  Michael, do I understand that
one can input Nemeth into Safari as well as output it?  That would be pretty
amazing.

This is a good time to bring you all up to date on LEAN Math.  I just posted
a new beta version and hope to have a final release before end of 2013.
LEAN is a general interface to math for use with audio or braille screen
readers.  It was developed to provide a convenient way to write and
manipulate math, not just read it.  In principle LEAN is useful for any
authoring system that can input and output MathML. Version 1 is an interface
to MS Word+MathType.  I went that route because it is the most popular
scientific authoring application in the world.

LEAN should be very intuitive.  Function keys act as pull-down menus for
math symbols and expressions.  There are also hot keys for most popular
items such as inserting a fraction or a square root, or a table, an
integral, a differential, etc.  These are inserted from the Function Key
menus or hot keys, and place markers indicate where you are to insert - ie
the numerator and denominator of that fraction, etc.  LEAN was developed to
be extremely convenient for people using speech, but it works in braille
too.

If you'd like to join the beta test, send me a note.