[Blindmath] books in accessible format

Mike Jolls mrspock56 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 17 17:07:05 UTC 2013

I don't think the authors have as much to worry about as you imply.

 That's why we have laws ... to allow the people that need the alternative format to get it ... and to protect the publisher.

Providing an alternate format for textbooks in e-format is no different than laws that apply to content that is provided through Talking Books.  The law that allows Talking Books to be made gives a special exception to the publishers that produce the Talking Books.  A special format is produced such that you have to have a special reader to access the information.  In that way, the "creator of the intellectual property" is protected.   And blind people probably access and enjoy Talking Books without too much fanfare these days.  The publishers know they'll be getting a free copy and everyone is OK with that because blind people are a small subset of the reading population.  So that precedent is already set.

Textbooks are no different.  Blind people are entitled to the same information as sighted people, and the publishers need to understand that they should have alternative formats .. meaning that the digital electronic version should be released to "alternative producers" .. just like with Talking Books, or even BookShare.

So the idea that publishers are fearful of their intellectual property being stolen is, as I see it, not as dramatic as set forth in the original email.  At least, as I see it, in the context of providing Blind people with accessible textbooks.  And, I'm sure it wouldn't be a stretch for the original author to say ... "I don't want this given out free, even to blind people"... and for Blind people to agree with that.  That is, if push came to shove and paying for it was the only way we could get it.   After all, we recognize that it takes a tremendous amount of work to publish a textbook, and if we were normally sighted, we'd plop down the $60, $100 price tag for knowledge in say a Trig book or a Calculus text.  If it came down to it, I'd say .. OK .. I have to pay for it.  But if I can get it in accessible format as I need it, it's worth it.

Also, the battle over the Kindle with universities should have never erupted like it did ... if blind people had accessible textbooks in the first place.  If authors and publishers had released the e-texts to the alternate publishers, then it wouldn't have mattered whether Kindle was accessible or not, although it would have been nice if it had been.  The alternate publishers could have .. as an example .. developed a reader application that ran on the Mac or the PC, so that the blind student wouldn't have to be dependent on the Kindle being accessible, or waiting for manufacturers to scramble to produce a Kindle that allowed accessibility.  The alternate textbooks would however, had to be available when classes began so the blind person wasn't at a disadvantage if the Kindle was taken out of the equation.  That's not to say that the Kindle shouldn't be accessible ... it probably should be.  But if the e-text was released to an alternate producer, then the blind person wouldn't HAVE TO BE DEPENDENT on the Kindle.  The publisher could make a reader that allowed working with the alternate format independently of the Kindle.

And, as I said in an earlier post, publishing (by the original publisher) in a standard format is critical.  I didn't get much response to that, but if a standard markup and format was agreed to such that every document was published in that format, then you could have any number of thred-paty publishers and they'd all know what the expected output of the e-text would be.  That standard could be LaTex, XML, whatever.  But I do believe a standard format needs to be developed if it hasn't already.  Otherwise you have incompatible solutions and a blind person gets locked into one vendor.  Consider the VCR.  When the standard was finally agreed to, you had a lot of competitors in the business.  You could then have multiple vendors producing the alternate e-texts which might be beneficial to the blind user.

Anyway, i don't think the textbook author has that much to worry about, unless I'm just missing the boat here.  The precedence, as I said, has already been set.

Thoughts?