[Blindmath] TeX Editors

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Sep 17 21:33:48 UTC 2013

Justin,

I use plain old notepad and batch files to process the files into all the formats I need. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Having said that, I recommend new users (blind and sighted) look at TeXnicCenter.

It does have a specific switch in the preferences for use by visually impaired users and then works as well as any editor I've seen. As I recall, the usability without changing this preference is limited.

It is free.

No obvious disadvantages.

Look up the sessions on its use that have been held at the ICCHP Summer University. Recordings of these workshops are available for a number of past events, but I'm not completely sure the 2013 recordings from earlier this month are available yet. This will give you a head start as a blind person that isn't available for other editors.

There is no need to use the beta version currently available as far as I am aware.

Jonathan