[Blindmath] Creating braille math for a refreshable braille display

Caryn Navy caryn at duxsys.com
Wed Apr 23 15:33:05 UTC 2014

Hello from Duxbury Systems.

Over the past few years we have expanded the range of LaTeX that our math importer can handle. I have spoken with people using DBT to open Scientific Notebook files, LaTeX files from InftyReader, and other LaTeX files including chapters from textbooks.

I would encourage people who need this application to give DBT a try. The current version is DBT 11.2 SR1. New versions and service releases for DBT generally include some improvements in LaTeX support. For example, in DBT 11.2 we added support for commands like \begin and \end{matrix}, \begin and \end{pmatrix}, etc. In DBT 11.2 SR1 we changed the support for \begin{align*} and \end{align*} so that the parser doesn't complain when there is a row without any ampersand.

If you run into things that cause problems, please let us know, with a sample file if possible.

Another new capability in DBT 11.2, still somewhat experimental, is translating from math notation in Nemeth Code braille to DBT print math and then exporting to LaTeX. Exporting to LaTeX can also be used after translating from UEB braille including math.

All the best,
Caryn

Caryn Navy
Duxbury Systems