[Blindmath] Looking to hire a physicist in the Philadelphia area

Gabriela Moats gmoats at haverford.edu
Fri Aug 1 18:42:37 UTC 2014

Hello, I'm looking to hire someone for the fall (starting Sept 2nd!) who
has a background in physics and is in the Philadelphia-area to assist in
making a physics course accessible to a blind undergrad. Please see details
below and share with anyone you think would be interested! Thank you!!

*Looking for a Physics Tutor, Notetaker and Assistant to Help Blind
Undergrad *

Haverford College in Haverford, PA is looking for someone with a background
in physics to act as a tutor, notetaker, and course assistant for this Fall
2014 semester to assist in making a physics course in “Mechanics of
Discrete and Continuous Systems” accessible to an undergraduate student who
is blind. A background in physics is of primary importance, and preference
will be given to applicants who have experience teaching or working with
the visually-impaired. Ideally we would like to find someone who can
perform all three tasks, but we are open to hiring more than one person to
fill these roles. Hours are negotiable and would be less than full-time.
Applicants would need to be able to begin September 2nd at the latest, but
could start earlier. Positions would last through the fall semester
(December 20th), but preference will be given to applicants who are
interested in continuing for the entire school year or longer.

Acting as a notetaker would involve attending the physics course with the
student Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 9:30-10:30am on Haverford’s campus.
Duties would include describing visual information during the class to the
student, taking class notes, and helping the student with inaccessible
technology. Tutoring would involve working with the student on foundational
math skills and concepts from the physics course ~3-6 hrs/week on campus,
and times would be negotiated directly with the student. For the consultant
position, we are looking for someone who has the time and experience to
help faculty find and/or develop assistive technology, tactile tools and
teaching strategies that would make visual aspects of the physics course
accessible. We are open to applicants who can come to our campus, as well
as those who can only assist us from a distance. Hours are flexible.

Please contact Gabriela Moats (gmoats at haverford.edu, 512-913-8067) as soon
as possible to discuss specifics.

--
Gabriela Echavarría Moats