[Blindmath] reading latex

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Aug 31 22:08:26 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Given this sort of request pops up fairly regularly, I think it's well past time we actually made it practically simple for teachers (like Sofia's) to convert their material into a readable document.

About two years ago, I had my documents being converted into XML with readable equations using tex4ht which comes with the standard miktex installation. While I was working with miktex 2.8, this worked well. There is something missing with the 2.9 installation that stops the XML files being created though.

It seems likely  to me that someone on this list must know how to get this functionality back up and running properly, or already has done so.

Could someone please volunteer. Perhaps one of you working in a Disability Support Service office. A good starting point (the one that helped me) is the article written by Michael Whapples that appears on the access to science webpage. http://www.access2science.com/latex/tutorial_txht.xhtml

If someone wants to help me work on this, then please write off list to
a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz

I also want to see if anyone has investigated the pandoc software. This might also prove to be another solution worth committing more energy towards.

Cheers,
Jonathan