[Blindmath] Math for everyday use

Sabra Ewing sabra1023 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 02:11:08 UTC 2014

And a lot of the lectures and math classes are very passive. Teachers don't ask students questions in class, don't have students work out problems around them, and don't ask for feedback of any sort during the lecture.they ask if you understood it almost as an afterthought, But if you haven't done any problems yet, how can you know if you understand it or not? Then, you do your homework, and maybe you figure out that you don't understand it then, but a lot of math classes have the homework as a grade now, so even though you are supposed to be learning and figuring out how to do things,you are getting graded and evaluated for skills you haven't even mastered yet. You have no way to master the skills in the class and practice without being graded and evaluated.I think that before you start to be graded, you should at least have a chance to work some problems, figure out what you do and don't understand, and ask questions about what you don't understand. After you've had a chance to do that, I think it would be fair to grade, but before that, it wouldn't. It would be the same thing as evaluating someone on the job who is still in training.

Sabra Ewing