[Blindmath] matricies.

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-blindmath at pcdesk.net
Wed Dec 17 09:39:06 UTC 2014

Derek
Let me answer your first question first. Navigating matrices depends on
how you want to do it. If you're talking on the computer, using a
combination of the LaTeX representation and sometimes placing elements
of the matrix in excel to work with them worked for me. Annoying
sometimes, but doable. I also recommend you obtain a copy of the Octive
(might be spelled Octave, I don't remember) software; it's an open
source package that is very good at Matrix operations. It's similar to
matlab in a lot of ways, or used to be anyway. You'll be wanting that
after about the hundrith reduce operation. LOL Probably you can't use it
on a test, but it helps to check your work and such for homework.

Now, to answer your representation questions. In LaTeX, you can write
matrices as follows. Assume you're already in math mode, then you would
do something like this. Please note that the B's are capitalized; you
want them to be in order to have the braces typeset right.

\begin{Bmatrix}
1 & 2 & 3\\
4 & 5 & 6\\
7 & 8 & 9
\end{Bmatrix}

This creates a 3 by three matrix. The first row reads "1, 2, 3". It is
obvious how the rest read. The Bmatrix tells LaTeX to surround the
entire group with square braces, which is the standard.

In Nemeth, the syntax is as follows. dot four, then a left paren symbol.
(the nemeth one, which is an "of" sign). Then write the first row of
elements, each separated with a space. Then do a dot four, followed by a
right paren. (The "with" sign) Do the same for subsequent rows.

Hope this helps
Joe