[Blindmath] Audio transcribing of Mathematics

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Jul 7 07:09:34 UTC 2014

Hello Robert.

As one of the two blind lecturers of statistics on this list, perhaps there is some obligation to say something on this topic. (Theodor can chime in when he wants.)

Yes, there are guidelines for describing graphs. Personally, I know why the guidelines are the way they are, but I don't like them. You could google WGBH etc. for one example set of guidelines. I do find it strange that you have to create the accessible copy of the book for the student though.

I think you should seriously find a way of making tactile images using a suitable embosser. If the student is not familiar with reading tactile images they may need some support from you or a graduate student. Your university really should have an embosser, or know how to get material embossed. Check with your disability support service office (assuming you do have one)

It might prove best to create the graphs you want the student to know about from scratch, or using the support material for the textbook you have used. Scanning the graphs from the text and using image processing software is possible, but may end up taking longer. I've just embossed some graphs directly from R to a ViewPlus Tiger embosser yesterday. This is really easy if the hardware can be made available to you.

I think you and your student need to work out more than just the textbook. Your student will need to complete assessment exercises, and unless your course is not using 21st century technology, your student has a much bigger challenge with respect to statistical software ahead of them.
See http://R-Resources.massey.ac.nz for a pile of resources I look after.

Keep a look out on this list for an announcement about a paper that has been accepted in the Journal of Statistical Software where Theodor and I have reviewed some statistical software options (R, SAS, SPSS, and Minitab). I am currently at the Summer University event for blind students intending ot study mathematical subjects at university and the professionals that work with them. We're here in Paris and there are plenty of great workshops being held that demonstrate how the blind students can succeed at university. Material from previous events can be looked for. When you google this, add ICCHP to the search list as this is the acronym for the main conference that is held in conjunction with the SU.

You may want to make contact with me off list for copies of other resources that will help you and your student. Feel free to do so.

Jonathan