[Blindmath] doubt regarding matrix operations

kperry at blinksoft.com kperry at blinksoft.com
Wed Jul 30 13:53:49 UTC 2014

When I did it there was no excel so I just used a text editor and wrote out
the matrixes in a text file.  I know braille would have been better but I
was a new blind guy and I wasn't waiting for my braille skills to get good
enough to do math.  It's a good thing to its now 23 years later and my
braille skills are just now getting good enough.

Anyway If I was doing matrixes today I would have two things. Excel and the
new Orion TI-84.  I will note I am a bit biased because I am involved with
the Orion TI-84 project.

I would have the calculator so I didn't have to do the transforms by hand
but the truth is you don't need a calculator to do this stuff.  In fact it
is good to learn to do the elementary transform by hand.  Excel is a great
tool for this because you can swap rows, and move up and down between the
elements and change or not change them. You can do this with an editor as I
did when I was in school but it is easier to screw the problem up because
the elements are not in their own defined fields like they are in a spread
sheet.

If a teacher wants to see you do the work you could block the rows in a
spread sheet move down and past the matrix then make your row calculation
and then do it again till your done with the problem. It is almost as good
as doing with paper if not quite as fast.

Ken