[Blindmath] [Blind math] Spatial Abilities

Susan Osterhaus osterhauss at tsbvi.edu
Thu Jun 5 21:54:39 UTC 2014

I am one of those sighted individuals who has always had difficulty
transforming a 2-dimensional drawing of a 3-dimensional object into the
3-D object in my mind. I prefer making the 3-D object. I have a blind
friend who has no difficulties conceptualizing a 3-dimensional object from
a tactile 2-dimensional drawing. Her husband, who is blind, is more like
me - has difficulties. They have two sighted children. One can do it
easily; one has great difficulty.

When I was doing my student teaching in mathematics to sighted students
years ago, I taught geometry, and I was affectionately known as the
"tinker toy lady" because I always created the 3-D objects which I thought
were necessary for understanding the day's concept. The majority of my
students actually thought this was pretty cool and paid attention!! Of
course, now I have a much better collection of 3-D math toys that I use to
teach all students - blind or sighted. I still get sighted observers who
exclaim that they finally understood a particular concept when they
watched me use my various manipulatives. They demand to know why their
sighted math teachers didn't "do it" that way.

A possibly related story: When asked, most people will say that they are
better at either algebra or geometry but not both. The "geometry" lovers
are usually quite good with this whole spatial thing, while the "algebra"
lovers are not. Of course I am the algebra-type, and I always wondered why
they decided I should teach geometry for my student teaching. It didn't
stop there. I have had to teach geometry (as well as all the other math
subjects) all my life, and believe it or not, most people seem to think
I'm very good at it. I also have more geometry math toys than anything
else. It just shows what the right accommodations can do for someone.

Bottom Line: I think someone needs to do some research to find out about
this "spatial" thing. Anyone looking for a good dissertation topic?

Best wishes,
Susan O

Susan A Osterhaus
Statewide Mathematics Consultant