[Blindmath] Math Computer Program

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Mar 3 07:42:12 UTC 2014

Hello,
I think one desired use for Braille input is to be able to use the
Braille keyboards on Braille displays so that one does not move the
hands much between reading and writing.

In the case of my Brailliant BI40, I believe normally the screen reader
handles changing the key dot patterns into various normal key events
(eg. it will convert dots 134 to a key event for the m key). This might
include key combinations (I think there is one, may be space+dots2345,
which performs alt+tab). Whether the mapping is the same for all screen
readers and as the user can change the input Braille table in many
screen readers, I feel this might make a technical difficulty in LEAN
accessing Braille keyboards on Braille displays.

Could I ask those interested in Braille input: Would you be so
interested in Braille input for LEAN if it were to work with either
separate Braille keyboards or by using 8 keys on a qwerty keyboards (IE.
asdf jkl;)? Is having the Braille keyboard on your Braille display
critical/highly desired for Braille input?

Michael Whapples