[Blindmath] help

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 12 00:48:55 UTC 2014

I had a database course where I used playdoe & plasticine to ask a sighted colleague to explain the notation. I then used zytech paper to print tactile graphics. I just recreated the diagrams using playdoe in exams or described them with jaws if more appropriate.
I've done a Physics BSc & Computer Science postgrad using this combo. I definitely think that an awareness to tactile graphics helps substantially. 3D printing now makes this a lot simpler process.
ATB
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>> The graphics were being presented to the sighted students...how was the
>>> blind student participating?
>>>
>>> Why did he not contact the disability office regarding the need? not
>>> trying to be obnoxious here, but as a TVI of high schoolers, I begin to
>>> wonder if I need to teach them to be more proactive about  making their
>>> need for access to  materials known, AND be sure they can articulate how
>>> they need the materials prepared.
>>>
>>> Maureen Murphy Lewicki
>>> Teacher of the Visually Impaired
>>> Bethlehem Central Schools
>>> 700 Delaware Avenue
>>> Delmar, NY 12054
>>> http://bcsd.k12.ny.us/
>>>

>>> On Mar 11, 2014, at 8:01 PM, "Arielle Silverman" <arielle71 at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:arielle71 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It depends on what he already knows about graphs before taking this
>>> exam. If he already understands the concept of lines, X and Y axes,
>>> slope and intercept, then you may just be able to read him the
>>> question and describe any graphs that are included on the test. If he
>>> doesn't have the basic conceptual understanding because he hasn't been
>>> properly accommodated for this class, then he may need to take a step
>>> back and go over some tactile graphs before he can be tested fairly on
>>> the material. But I think the test questions are fair as long as he's
>>> received appropriate accommodations while he was originally learning
>>> the material, either tactile graphs, audio descriptions or both.
>>> When I was taking math tests and the test asked me to draw a graph, I
>>> would just write a detailed description with JAWS. This was never a
>>> problem for me even into calculus and advanced statistics. He should
>>> be able to take tests with JAWS unless the test question itself
>>> actually contains a graph. Also, some equations will not read properly
>>> with JAWS. He will need to trial a document and see if the equations
>>> make sense with JAWS before using this as a preferred testing method.
>>> You can retype the equations in a way that makes sense to JAWS by
>>> using plain numbers, letters and operators. JAWS reads +, -, * and /
>>> correctly along with %. It does not read Greek letters correctly.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Arielle
>>>
>>> Arielle
>>>
>>> On 3/11/14, sabra1023 <sabra1023 at gmail.com<mailto:sabra1023 at gmail.com>>
>>> wrote:
>>> I actually don't agree that it's fair to only provide tactile graphs. I
>>> like
>>> tactile graphs forgetting basic information, but I hate them if I need
>>> really specific information.
>>>
>>> On Mar 11, 2014, at 10:24 AM, "John Gardner" <gardnerj at onid.orst.edu
>>> <mailto:gardnerj at onid.orst.edu>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Access to graphs will be poor unless the student has some kind of tactile
>>> representation.  I believe that everybody on this list will agree with
>>> that
>>> statement.  However not every blind person can understand tactile
>>> graphics,
>>> so before doing anything else, this is a topic that you need to discuss
>>> with
>>> him.  If he is among the very small number of blind people who are
>>> comfortable with tactile graphics, then you need to purchase some
>>> equipment
>>> to make them, and there are many possibilities.  If he is not comfortable
>>> with reading tactile, then my recommendation is to make audio tactile
>>> graphics copeies for him, because most people can read tactile copy if
>>> there
>>> is good audio to accompany it.  Full disclosure: my company, ViewPlus, is
>>> the pioneer in this technology, so if you do this, you'll be buying from
>>> ViewPlus.
>>>
>>> So please, before this discussion goes on into myriad detail, you need to
>>> have the conversation with your student.  And for my own benefit, I'd
>>> like
>>> to know why this topic has not already come up.  Learning about graphs
>>> only
>>> when they appear on a test is kind of late.
>>>
>>> John Gardner

>>> existed.  I am new to the field of disabilities having been in this