[Blindmath] Accessible introduction to Statistics preffiberely with R

Jared Stofflett stofflet at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 20:27:18 UTC 2014

I've been interested in statistics for a while so am using fantasy as
a way to try and learn theory then apply it rather than just plugging
numbers into formulas without understanding them. Excel is accessible
but my understanding is that it is not good for handling large amounts
of data. For example given a busy night in the NHL there may be 400
players who have played an average of 60 games. Each of those games
could have 5 or 6 stats associated with it giving you over 100000
variables. I don't know a good way in Excel to generate a projection
for each of those players taking into account the individual score for
each game they have played. Am I missing something or is doing
analysis on 400 players on a game by game basis feasible in Excel? All
my excel work so far has been season to date statistics rather than
game by game.