[Blindmath] Division of Polynomials

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 5 17:00:59 UTC 2014

Hi Jon,

I completely agree with what you wrote about the important aspect of much of
what one learns is developing the general ability to deal with related items
in the future.  I am also well aware that it is often not until you've taken
a more advanced subject such as abstract algebra that you appreciate the
usefulness of or even truly understand what you've studied earlier.  This
can be hard for students to appreciate. I remember trying in vain many years
ago to justify to my high school chemistry students how it could help their
future selves to learn the naming systems for certain organic molecules.

The only reason I added what I did about my having never needed polynomial
division is that it seemed to me that some of the students were spending way
too much time on this one topic, especially given that they are just taking
standard algebra with no guarantee that their teacher knows anything about
computer algebra systems or abstract algebra. I apologize if I gave the
false impression that I wouldn't have agreed in general with what you
expressed so well.

Another thing I had thought about mentioning was that my understanding of
calculus greatly improved once I'd developed and programmed in Fortran a
method for handling numerical quadrature of certain complex
three-dimensional integrals.  However, as you well know, my being able to do
this built on many different skills that I'd spent years acquiring.

Sincerely,
SusanJ