[Blindmath] Division of Polynomials

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 5 19:08:34 UTC 2014

Hi Sabra,

I do unfortunately understand what you mean about some math classes teaching
how to use software and calculators rather than how to do the math manually
by using the correct algorithms although I'm shocked to learn that this
happens at a college level.

A few years ago I was taking an exercise class where a high school student
was the receptionist. However, she wasn't very busy so she spent a lot of
time doing her homework.  One day she seemed upset and when I asked why she
said she was studying for her math test but couldn't do one of the practice
problems so I offered to help.  Boy was that a big mistake! It turned out
the test was on how to use a brand of calculator that I'd never used to
manipulate certain kinds of tables and she was having trouble following the
instructions in the book. As far as I could tell there wasn't any need for
her to understand anything I'd call math.

I hope some other people on this list have some helpful ideas.  I guess my
experience is out-of-date.

Good luck!

SusanJ