[Blindmath] mayple

Dániel Hajas via Blindmath blindmath at nfbnet.org
Thu May 15 03:42:57 UTC 2014

Hi Richard,

I am a first year theoretical physics student as well at the university of
Sussex. We had to use Maple in term 1 and my experiences are not very
bright.

Though there are some accessibility concerns with regards JAWS on
Maplesoft's website and we have been in contact with them, I don't think the
software is fully accessible.

One step forward seemed to be to change from the standard interface to the
classic one, hence the menus were accessible and I had feetback on what I am
writing but the answers could not be read. Especially things like fractions
or 2D structures.

Near the end of term I was advised to try it in command line mode; however,
at the meantime I started to use Python, which is just as powerful if not
even more as Maple for the tasks we had to use, so haven't checked the
command line mode afterall.

Have you had the chance to try the command line yet? I would be interested
how that works, even though I am very satisfied with Python so far and it
seems a good alternative instead of using Maple.

One big disadvantage with Maple was that I could not read the MWS files
given to u sas worksheets, thus I needed a sighted person to read those
instructions.

Best wishes,
Daniel