[Blindmath] I'm Dying Here

sabra1023 via Blindmath blindmath at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 00:23:22 UTC 2014

Unfortunately, I have had the same problem you do and every single math class I've ever attended. I haven't found that getting a person to explain what is being said to be a very effective strategy. Especially in the higher level math courses, the person might not know, they might not be able to explain things non-spatially when required, and they might not know how to reformat spatial information see you can more easily access it. Unfortunately, I don't know how much people go over this in training programs for teachers of the blind, but in my experience, a lot of them only know how to do this to a certain extent and not at all and the higher-level maths. I'm pointing all of this out because even if your teacher verbalizes what is on the board, he still might be presenting the information spatially. That means he's making it difficult to understand by moving numbers all over the board and probably using lines and arrows and other unnecessary garbage. Especially if you have been blind from birth, it would be good if you could find someone else who is totally blind and who's really good at math so that person could do the things I have previously described. What I have done is to have individual time with a teacher or tutor, or I also look for examples on the Internet. Places like forums or Yahoo answers are good because the examples are to the point and the equations are often accessible. And textbooks, the examples are ;-), spatial,, ;-), difficult to find, and difficult to understand.