[Blindmath] I'm Dying Here

Andrew Stacey via Blindmath blindmath at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 18:38:12 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 06:16:27AM +0100, Blindmath wrote:

> Just could not miss a comment on what Maureen said with regards the
> communication. I seriously can not stand when some of the lecturers are
> saying especially my favourite 'You move this guy here upstairs.'. I mean...
> come on!
> If you are a researcher you could really put the effort in saying substitute
> the variable x, y into the expression in the numerator...

I'm not letting that go!

I will accept the point that if there is a blind person in the lecture hall
then I should be more careful about explicitly naming things.  But if there
isn't, then I'm going to thump the board and say things like "Now take this
<thump> and put it there <thump> and see what happens".  Not only do I think
it good pedagogically but as a mathematician then it's how I think so why
would I want to deprive the students of that insight?

Andrew