[Blindmath] Spatial Abilities

Angie Matney via Blindmath blindmath at nfbnet.org
Thu May 29 16:09:29 UTC 2014

Fascinating conversation. My partner and I were talking about this a
few days ago. Like me, he has been totally blind since infancy (well,
actually, he had a bit of light perception in one eye for a while, and
honestly he is not sure if he still has this or not). But while I have
the same spatial issues as some others have identified, Chuck is
phenomenally good at spatial thinking. I do think a combination of
nature and nurture is at work. Chuck got excellent O&M instruction
from a very young age. I got phenomenal braille instruction, but myO&M
was lacking. This is partly because of where I lived--there really
weren't that many places to go. LOL! Also, I've seen my sighted mom
and sister struggle with navigation. I think my sister has improved
somewhat now that she des more driving. All of this is to say that
Ithink I suffered from (a) a predisposition to be spatally challenged
and (b) lack of experiences to help me overcome this challenge.