[Blindmath] Spatial Abilities

Arielle Silverman via Blindmath blindmath at nfbnet.org
Thu May 29 22:26:03 UTC 2014

Yes, it's definitely a combo of nature and nurture. There is evidence
that especially for us who are blind from birth, our visual cortexes
get recruited for other uses. I wonder if the way your brain
reorganizes due to blindness determines how well your nonvisual
spatial awareness is. Also, I wonder if blind boys might be socialized
differently from blind girls or encouraged to get out and run around
more leading to better O&M skills? I could certainly imagine myself
having had more opportunities for physical activity or more desire for
it if I had been male.

Arielle