[Blindmath] Standard Deviation Question

Joseph Lee joseph.lee22590 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 21:24:01 UTC 2014

Hi,
I think you meant 4.2, not 4.52. If it was 4.52, then two standard
deviations must be 3.32-5.72. Also, faster than 95% implies that Sally's
time should be shorter (3.0-3.32). In reality, Sally's time is:
4.52 (or 4.2) - (sigma of 1.95 * 0.6).
As a normal distribution is shaped like a bell (really a cone with a smooth
U at the top) with an imaginary line running down the center of it, a
standard deviation measures how data is spread out on the center of the
bell. Thus, one standard deviation will denote data range between top 16% to
bottom 16%, two standard deviation measures from top 2.5% to bottom 2.5% and
so on (what I mean by "top" and "bottom" are really left and right sides; so
half of a data that lies within one standard deviation will be on the
immediate left of the center line). The concept of normal distribution and
the bell curve shows up again when a student studies about inference and
standard error.
Cheers,
Joseph