[Blindmath] Standard Deviation Question

Ramana Polavarapu sriramana at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 21:56:01 UTC 2014

Obviously, there are better statisticians than I am on this group.
Joseph has answered your question.  The main thing is to figure out
the area under the curve equal to 90%.  Here is my thinking:
1. She is better than 90%.
2. If she hits the mean (4.2), she is better than 50%.
3. We need to get rid of 40% below (left of) mean.
4. By looking at the tables, you can figure out 1.28 standard
deviations equal to 40%.
5. The answer should be 4.2 - 1.28 times .6.
I have looked at the following web site to get this answer:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-find-a-percentile-for-a-normal-distribution.html
Look at the fish example mentioned there.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ramana