[Blindmath] Standard Deviation Question

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:34:27 UTC 2014

To build on Joseph's explanation:
The question said faster than 95% of the entire field.
In stats, a probability density function, the frequency, frequency density are plotted on the x, y axes respectively. The area between the function's plot & x axis is obviously the total probability, which over the entire possibility space is equal to 1.
Now for any situation, the frequency always increasses over the x axis from left to right.  So in a normalised distribution, z corresponds to frequency values. Since frequency refers to time in your question, Int z(-infinity, +infinity)=1 for the entire possibility space, which is the entire time scale for all your swimmers. Since time, & therefore the corresponding z always increase from left to right, Int z(x), +infinity)=0.95 where x is the answer in question. Therefore, since there would be 5% chance of someone having a faster time than x, Int(-infinity, z(x))=0.05 .
Now you were very close to your answer. You had found z such that  Int(-infinity, z)=0.95 . Since a normal distribution is symmetrical around 0, Int(-infinity, -z)=0.05 by law of symmetry.
Given that z(x) = (x-mu)/sigma, plugin the values of z (which should be negative in this case), mu & sigma & you'll get the value of x. :)

HTH
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone