[Blindmath] reading latex

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Sep 8 00:43:53 UTC 2014

Hello Sofia,

The only OCR tool that will process the mathematical notation is Infty Reader.

I think that OCR is a wonderful tool to have available, but it is not perfect, even for regular words. The presence of the Greek and special mathematical symbols mean that a standard OCR tool will fail to deliver accurate information to readers of a huge amount of mathematical content.

OCR is a stop gap measure for dealing with print on paper. Yes it got used in cases where what was on paper is now kept in an electronic file but it is still a fix up for dealing with content that was not made accessible at the time of production.

I did get some offers of assistance in helping make a tool that will help academics who create inaccessible documents in LaTeX who want to make accessible ones instead. I don't know how soon we'll have a solution for wider use but it's only a matter of time and energy.

We need to help ourselves a bit in this respect, but ultimately I'm helping make a tool that the document authors will use because it is their responsibility to give you the student the information you need in a form you can read.

Not sure why, but an old joke just came to mind. It's one of a series of jokes about changing light bulbs.
Q: How many social workers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Just one, but the light bulb has to want to change.

Jonathan