[Blindmath] Math Player Questions

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Thu Sep 18 17:17:28 UTC 2014

Answering your questions in order:

1. MathPlayer 3 should work with IE9 and earlier. Many people have used it
with various screen readers. If you hare having a problem, please send
details (web page, os version, screen reader version, version of IE, ...)
to support at dessci.com and they will look into the problem.

2. MathPlayer doesn't have a UI that supports customizing how symbols are
spoken. However, the speech rules are in text files that can be edited by
users. If you look in the MathPlayer directory (probably C:\Program Files
(x86)\Design Science\MathPlayer), you will see a "Rules" directory. In that
directory, find the language you want to modify (e.g., "en" for English)
and open that directory. In that directory, open up the file unicode.tdl
and find the symbol being used for "times" that you want to modify (you
need to know it's Unicode value). Then just change the string associated
with that value.

3. As part of a joint grant with ETS, we have been working on a project
that not only works in all browsers, but also works with Word and
PowerPoint. It also supports navigation of the math to make it easier to
understand large equations. The catch is that your screen reader needs to
call it. At the moment, the folks who work on JAWS are not interested in
calling it and are instead working on something on their own. Window-Eyes
and NVDA have non-released versions that work with it. The other catch is
that it is taking much longer than I hoped to get this out the door. I
apologize to all of you whose hopes I raised at CSUN.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~