[Blindmath] User perspective for Nemeth Braille Code

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at mail.utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 22 13:21:15 UTC 2014

Hi Rebecca,
I find Nemeth code is a fabulous tool. I learned on a Perkins Brailler,
including all vertical alignment. Neither my itinerant teacher nor I was
concerned about how many symbols one print character took up, as each symbol
(main line indicator, dot above, etc.) has a specific meaning. Vertical
alignment and carrying numbers for all operations (including long division)
took up many lines of Braille, but helped me learn to do mental math. Now
when I'm working through a problem in my head I visualize a Braille page
where I can input the numbers as I work through the problem. I did use an
abacus for addition and subtraction, but never learned to multiply or
divide. I'm 25 now and am in university, where I still use Nemeth, though
now with an electronic note taker and back-translation software.
Nemeth may look intimidating, but it's not as bad as it looks.
I hope this helps you somewhat.
Sarah