[Blindmath] Stata

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Aug 31 23:32:42 UTC 2015

Hello,

It's been a few years since I last tested Stata, but the creation of the text log for your results was the optimal way for anyone using a screen reader to get the output. If you save that log file with a txt extension you will be able to open it in a browser and use the refresh key to update it periodically. Access to the results window is likely to be limited in its usefulness because I suspect you find it hard to extract the results for inclusion in any reports you need to write.

I've held any claims about s508 compliance and statistical software in contempt for some time. I've demonstrated that the VPAT statements made by some companies are either plain wrong, or so far from the truth as to be misleading. There are several exceptions to this (SAS and maybe SPSS) but Minitab has made statements about its software that I have demonstrated to be completely untrue. I have not investigated the formal documentation of Stata because it is not commonly used in undergraduate settings. I'd like to see how Stata makes this claim.

I am interested in the comments from Stata about NVDA being a superior option. I do not see why this is the case given the workflow that is necessary to get the desired output. If you could send copies of any communications received to me off list a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz I can follow up on them.

Good luck with Stata,
Jonathan