[Blindmath] alternative methods of learning college algebra

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Mon Dec 14 06:38:27 UTC 2015

Hi Laura,

I too was newly blind in college and thus did not know braille.  However,
thankfully I had already completed all of my required math classes in
college prior to losing my sight, so I didn't have to worry about those.
But I have needed to do math since then in other fields, such as accounting
and finance, and since I cannot do math in braille, I use Word to type out
the equations and slowly go through them, character by character, solving
them as I go, using a calculator when necessary (though I have no experience
with using graphing calculators as a blind person -- sorry).  Did you take
Algebra in high school?  If so, you should already know how to do most of
it.  I didn't have to take College Algebra in college, but I did help a
friend when he took it, and it was basically the same thing as Algebra in
high school, except that the problems are a bit longer in college.

Sarah