[Blindmath] alternative methods of learning college algebra

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 14 20:54:23 UTC 2015

But nobody said a human can do arithmetic better than a calculator. You
are disputing a point no one has made.

Can we get back on topic, please? This thing about doing math in your
head came up when someone suggested that you don't need to learn Nemeth
because you can keep most of it in your head. I would not put much of
anything beyond the capacity of the human brain. But I'd also say the
vast majority of math students are going to need to write a lot of stuff
down. Therefore, saying you don't need to learn Nemeth strikes me as
poor advice.

One additional thing though. I was at a conference a while ago and
happened to mention Nemeth code. One of the instructors chastized me for
recommending Nemeth instead  of Gardner-Salinas. According to this
person, we shouldn't be telling students to learn Nemeth because it is
old hat and Gardner-Salinas braille notation is the bomb-diggity.  I
have to admit that at the time, I didn't even know what that was.