[Blindmath] alternative methods of learning college algebra

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Dec 15 04:27:59 UTC 2015

Laura,

By now, you have read numerous answers to this question, but I hope to come
at this from a different perspective.  To give you my background, for
whatever it is worth, I was born blind, majored in math many years ago, and
have worked in Information Technology for a long time now.  My story is
paralleled by a good number of people and is hardly unique, but I think it
is relevant in that I try to limit my comments to things I have experienced.

I do not know how much vision you had before you lost it, but I want to
express my sympathy for the adjustments you are having to make.  It is
important to note that there is more to being a math student than figuring
out how to do math.  Perhaps you are already comfortable with traveling
independently, cooking, doing household chores, and so forth, but if these
are not things you have mastered yet as a blind person, it is well worth
considering taking some time off to get some of those skills.  If you were
to do that, learning some braille including some of what you would find
useful for math could be a part of that experience.  Without knowing your
personal story, I can say that in general, taking some time to get these
skills will never be easier than before one gets into the job market, and it
can enhance your chance of getting a job.  Are you looking to just get
through a math requirement, or will your interests require multiple math
classes?  The issue here is not whether it is possible to succeed in math
without braille.  Rather, the question is what will maximize your chances to
succeed.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson