[Blindmath] Math in your head

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Tue Dec 15 23:16:12 UTC 2015

I do think memory can become strong through needing to rely on it for some
reason such as as a result of blindness.  As an example, not math related,
but I played piano for many years as a child starting at the age of 8. I was
partially sighted, but with our piano, I could not read the sheet music
sitting in front of me as I played from my position sitting on the bench.
It was too far away from me. So the only way I could play a song was by
leaning up to read a few notes, sitting back to play them, then leaning up
to read the next few notes, and then sitting back and playing all up to that
point, and so on.  As a result, I in effect had to memorize every single
song I ever played, and this made my memory extremely strong, so that later
as I progressed through school I could memorize anything. I recall often
memorizing class notes in high school and college word for word.  Though I
had a pretty good memory even prior to the piano, I strongly believe that it
was my visual impairment and the need to compensate for it in that way that
allowed, and in fact required my memory to develop to that degree.

Sarah