[Blindmath] Math in your head

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Dec 16 02:02:33 UTC 2015

John,

You might find this of interest.  When we studied the revolution of a solid,
a concept where a two-dimensional shape was revolved on the Y-axis, the
instructor actually told me he thought I had an easier time with the concept
because I was able to imagine it while he found most of the students tried
to picture it as a three-dimensional drawing on a two-dimensional surface as
they usually handled three dimensions.  I truly do not know if I was at an
advantage or not, but I did seem to have an easier time with it than many
others in the class.  I think we have to understand graphs to get a start at
being able to imagine what something would look like, but where we can think
beyond the paper, we'll have an advantage.  The same is true of doing math
in our heads.  The more we're able to do, the quicker we'll be at solving
equasions, etc.  However, I think it is a very individual thing.  I would
venture to say that when solving complex equasions, most of us are going to
run into that so-called brick wall and need a way to write it out
efficiently at some point.