[Blindmath] Audio books

Smith, Andrew smitha3 at students.rowan.edu
Thu Dec 31 20:07:01 UTC 2015

Hi, what exactly don't you find helpful about the audiobooks from
Learning Ally?  I have found them to be quite helpful indeed, since
graphs, images and other mathematical objects are described.  I have
found that they don't always have the exact textbook you need.  In my
case, for instance, they haven't had any of the exact books we've
needed yet.  In this situation I just picked a similar book.  For
instance, when I took calculus, I grabbed Ron Larson's calculus books.
Calculus is calculus no matter how you slice it, so I figured it would
be "good enough."  For problem sets, I use a reader or have a friend
read me the problems.  I, too,  find working with people to be a bit
frustrating so I do what I can on my own.  Although the books can be
slow, most DAISY readers offer an option to adjust the speed.  Since
I'm used to reading at a very high speed with JAWS, VoiceOver etc, I
adjusted the speed to fit my preference.

Hope this might help some.
Happy 2016!