[Blindmath] Strategies for Visually Impaired Students

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Sat Feb 7 19:21:54 UTC 2015

I had eye surgery in the middle of my junior year of high school (in the
middle of Algebra 2), which greatly impacted my sight for a few months
during recovery. My sister-in-law, who is a teacher, helped me with
completing my work during this time until my sight returned.

I used a thin black marker to write. Early on, she would copy the math
problems onto paper for me using the black marker, and to help me see the
lines on paper, she would use a marker to bolden the lines on standard
notebook paper. I could not easily write small enough to fit on a single
line, so she bolded every other line so I was able to write larger. Writing
math homework using this method got a little cluttered at times from
sometimes having to cross out, etc, but I was one of those kids who always
did my math homework in pen anyway, so it wasn't too bad.

Sarah