[Blindmath] Accessible education

Sabra Ewing sabra1023 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 21:57:35 UTC 2015

Firstly, you will have to register with the office for students with disabilities at your college. Even if you don't want to, it is basically impossible to get through college without the accommodations you can get by being registered with this office. These accommodations will include binding accessible alternatives or finding another way to access the content if it is flash for example and you can't read it with the screen reader. It also includes alternative testing situations. A lot of students test directly in the office for students with disabilities, but for a lot of my classes, I prefer to test in the classroom when possible in case I can't understand the directions of the exam, because testing in the office for students with disabilities requires access planning and scheduling, and because if there are any problems with me reading or taking the test, the teacher is right there to troubleshoot them. However, in some cases, this isn't possible. For example, if I am taking a history test, I will take that electronically using a computer. Because I am taking this test in a different format from the rest of the students, the professor will probably prefer me to take it in the office for students with disabilities. However, in the programming for example, in programming, I can take the test on the computer like the other students do, so I can just take it in the classroom.

Sabra Ewing