[Blindmath] Epub3 with MathML - Will it Work for Me?

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 5 05:51:38 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I've been in contact with a textbook author (thank you Internet) about
getting a usable version of his text which contains math. He told me that
the publisher can give me a copy in "EPUB3 format with MathML". I'm not at
all familiar with MathML and have some questions I hope you can help me
with.

1. Is this a usable format in your experience? I've heard mention of it on
the list many times, but I didn't pay enough attention to really get it.
2. Are there any clarifying questions I should be asking to better guarantee
accessibility?
3. What software would I need to read this book?
4. What kind of output would I be dealing with (audio through JAWS/NVDA,
Braille, etc.)?

Thank you so much for your help and your patience with my ignorance.

Sarah