[Blindmath] Questions Regarding Formula Reading With JAWS

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Mar 19 04:17:12 UTC 2015

Hello Trevor,

For many years LaTeX has been the primary mode of interaction with formulae for blind people and advanced mathematics.

While many of us might like writing long documents in LaTeX, I expect that we mostly also know that it took a long time to get to this level of comfort with it.

Thankfully, many other systems now use a reduced set of LaTeX commands for the formulae and means that mere mortals can use the best parts without needing to write their entire documents using LaTeX. Perhaps the best example that is talked about on this list has been MathType which works with MS Word.

The standard MathType interface used by my sighted colleagues is very mouse-driven. If you learn the sufficient LaTeX codes to generate the right symbols you can get MathType to convert them into the attractive graphics sighted people want to read. The opposite is also true. You can convert the MathType objects into LaTeX so we can read them. That doesn't mean the results are all that readable though as the way the LaTeX reads can often be quite obscure to the novice reader.

A useful tool that I do use is LEAN which is a small application written by John Gardner. LEAN aims to convert the MathType objects into more readable form.

Another tool mentioned here is MathPlayer. Personally, I don't use MathPlayer much as I am comfortable using LaTeX, but I imagine that some folk will find it invaluable for reading the content from webpages where MathJax and MathML have been used to display equations.

That's the short list of items worth looking into further.

With respect to JAWS scripts, I've seen people think they've developed a set of scripts that can interpret various symbols. Given the thousands of symbols that exist, and the various fonts that these can be extracted from etc. this notion really seems impossible unless you can guarantee the way an author created their content. Use of LEAN circumvents the need for jaws scripts, but relies on the mathematical objects being MathType objects.

Finally, The R list is functional but hasn't had too much traffic as yet.

Hope that helps.
Jonathan