[Blindmath] Making the University classroom more accessible

Goda Biekšaitė goda.bieksaite at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 16:22:34 UTC 2015

Hi Maureen,

Of course! None of us are visually impaired and therefore we really want to
understand as much as we can.

In regards of the the solutions and information that is already there we
have done quite a lot of research. As far as we have found, visually
impaired students use either tactile or audio oriented solutions. In
regards of text there's two choices - Braille or screen readers. As far as
we have seen Braille readers are rather expensive and entire books in
Braille are rare and difficult to obtain And therefore most people prefer
screen readers. JAWS, NVDA etc. More technologies we have looked into is
using sound and music to represent graphs and geometric objects, distances
and sizes, haptic feedback (like haptic mouse), magnifiers, sonic based
haptic representation of 3d objects (although a great idea it's currently
still in development), talking tactile tablet, raised paper, the chemistry
diagram translation into audible description. We also looked into possibly
using 3D printing to explain 3D objects.

I'm sure I missed a few of them but we tried to find as much information as
we can. But we're not trying to create a new piece of technology as we know
that shifting from one piece of the tech that you are already using to a
complete new one can be difficult. But maybe we incorporate different bits
from different tech together? Or make something that is currently not
accessible with current tech that is used - accessible...  Except we don't
know what people actually use. Finances, accessibility and situations are
different for all...

Also thank you so much for such a rapid response! Really does mean a lot!

Kind regards,
Goda
MSci Computer Science
3d Year Student