[Blindmath] Making the University classroom more accessible

Lewicki, Maureen mlewicki at bcsd.neric.org
Fri Nov 6 14:05:50 UTC 2015

Goda. And All. I have read the 'of course' email again and again. Goda was not implying anything about the blind, but that he would of course find blind people to input suggestions. That is why he contacted this email list.
And I understand the difficulties associated with finding Blind students. The blind are not well represented in the field...yet...but it could happen!!

I also have experienced time and again, the angst that teachers and professors show when they have a blind person in their class. It is frustrating, narrow minded, etc. My students consistently blow their teachers away with their abilities, however, and if the teachers remain open minded, they discover that their own teacher has grown deeper, by thinking less about the visual aspects of their subject, and more about the underlying concepts.

I hope we can move forward for Goda's sake, and for all of us on the list.  Goda, thank you for reaching out to this list. The blind researchers and students on the list are very adept in technology, and they can richly help you with their knowledge.

I will work this weekend on compiling what I use with my students.

Maureen Murphy Lewicki
Teacher of the Visually Impaired
Bethlehem Central School District
Bethlehem High School
700 Delaware Ave
Delmar, NY 12054
http://www.bethlehemschools.org
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. Helen Keller