[Blindmath] A query about accessibility through a screen reader of mathematical content

Saaqib Mahmuud saaqib1978 at yahoo.co.in
Mon Apr 11 14:35:41 UTC 2016

Hello to everyone at the BlindMath mailing list.

I have the following query.

These days, I'm using WinEdit 9.1 and MikeTex 2.9.5845 for typesetting mathematical documents.

After typing in my content, I press Alt + A to go to the Accessories menu, followed by ENTER to activate the Compile menu item. I've just learnt that the desired keystroke is F9.

The above procedure produces a PDF file with the mathematical content with the formatting I'd done using the LATEX commands.

Now my question is, is the mathematical content of this PDF file going to be accessible (and, if so, to what extent?) to a blind user through a screen reading program such as JAWS, NVDA, or WinEyes?

Would this PDF file emboss correctly into braille if I emboss it directly using a braille embosser such as the Index Braille's Everest-D V4 braille embosser?

Which screen reader does the best job of making the mathematical content thus created accessible to a blind person?
Please be sure to reply to the above questions in a thorough enough manner as your input will help make maths accessible for the blind of an under-developed region!

Regards.

Sincerely,
Saaqib Mahmood,
Lecturer in Mathematics,
Govt. Postgrad. College (GPGC) No. 1,
Abbottabad, PAKISTAN
Kund Malyaar, Muhallah Musa Zai, Nawan Shehr,
Abbottabad, PAKISTAN
Phone: +92-346-952-7638 (mobile), +92-334-541-7958 (mobile + WhatsApp + Viber)
Skype: saaqib.mahmood