[Blindmath] Statistical Analysis Software

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Apr 11 21:45:28 UTC 2016

Hi all,

In addition to the book Tim pointed people towards, I would suggest the software review page at
http://r-resources.massey.ac.nz/statsoftware/

You'll see that I rank software in the following order: R, SAS, Stata, SPSS... the rest...
Where the rest are poor options for anyone using a screen reader.

Tim commented that SPSS is not accessible. I agree, but others disagree. The point of difference is that as far as I am concerned, software is not truly accessible if we must tie ourselves to a particular screen reader or adaptive technology solution. There are people working quite happily with JAWS and SPSS so for them it is accessible. It is also possible to send a file containing a set of SPSS commands  for processing which then provides access; this is not the usual way of working as SPSS is primarily aimed at being driven via the GUI.  So until such time as an SPSS user works in the same manner as their sighted peers with any major screen reader, I will give it the thumbs down.

I accept that I have set the accessibility bar quite high and I make no apologies for doing so. IBM makes claims about the accessibility that it would be extremely easy to refute, but they are not the worst offenders in this regard. My current "worst offender" is Minitab.

Please also note that there  is a list dedicated to discussing R issues being hosted by the NFB. It is called "BlindRUG" where RUG is the commonly used acronym for R Users Group.
To join the list, send a message to:
BlindRUG-request at nfbnet.org
with the single word:
subscribe
in the subject line. You will be sent a confirmation message to the address from which the message was sent within a few minutes. Simply reply to that confirmation message and wait for the initial welcome message with the standard list admin notes and a few initial pointers.

Cheers,
Jonathan