[Blindmath] Current availability of math and science texts for blind students and professionals

Dennis Clark dennis at dgclark.net
Mon Dec 19 04:33:31 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

Recently I've read posts on other forums where blind people are attempting without success to obtain math books in an accessible format in subjects such as linear algebra. The general collective experience seems to be that various websites contained such materials for sighted readers, but these materials are not sufficiently accessible to actually learn the subject for blind readers.

I was fortunate to attend engineering school in the late 1970s, and at that time I was able to obtain my books for calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations in Braille, as well as most of my physics and mechanical engineering books, including all the drawings in raised lines. Had I not been able to get these books in Braille with tactile drawings, I would not have been able to successfully complete my courses. My books were also available from Recordings for the Blind on audio cassette, but I was never really able to use audio for mathematical subjects.

Based on the posts mentioned above, I gather that Braille is no longer as easily available as when I was in school. One possibility is that today blind math, engineering and science students are able to use computerized audio math software and electronic books instead of Braille. Another possibility that I hope isn't true, is that today students are no longer able to major in math, engineering or science as easily as we could in the 1970s.

I would greatly appreciate hearing off list from any recent blind college graduates or current students in math, engineering or the sciences to learn about the accessible materials you have been able to use to complete your coursework, as well as any problems you encountered or what you think would have helped you be more successful had it been available for your technical studies. If it is the case that technical fields are no longer as attainable for blind people as was once true due to inaccessibility of text books and other materials, I want to do something about this situation. Your feedback will help me understand the nature and magnitude of the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dennis Clark