[Blindmath] Techniques for taking Algebra through Calculus?

White, Jason J jjwhite at ets.org
Fri Feb 26 14:58:14 UTC 2016

>From: Blindmath [mailto:blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Bill
>Dengler via Blindmath
>Another option is using what I call "calculator notation".
>In this method, the student writes out mathematical equations, solutions etc
>in a text editor in a similar manner to how it would be typed into a scientific
>calculator. For example, parentheses are used to enclose the
>numerator/denominator of a fraction, arguments of a function, etc.

A disadvantage of doing this is that unless you use a notation for which you have software to convert it into LaTeX, the student will be unable to produce visually formatted mathematical notation.

There's a level of educational attainment beyond which I think it's reasonable to expect students who are blind to give their peers and educators correctly typeset mathematics that can be viewed on screen or printed. Opinions will likely differ as to what that educational level is, however.

LaTeX enables the student to generate properly typeset mathematics.

>However, I have started to use LaTeX, since it removes some of the ambiguity
>present in calculator notation with longer problems (I.E. is the parenthesis
>closing the radical or the fraction or what?) So now, I write :
>$x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$
>LaTeX also makes it easier to write limits and sequences/series.

You could write calculator notation in the format used by a particular symbolic algebra system. These systems can represent equations, integrals, derivatives, differential equations, matrices, etc. However, again there is the problem of creating proper typesetting.

>Ultimately, calculator notation is easier to learn but harder to work with as you
>approach calc.

At the post-secondary level, LaTeX is widely used. There is a benefit to knowing a well established typesetting format. I've received copies of papers and books in LaTeX and I've used it extensively for my own writing, including my PhD thesis, which involved very occasional use of symbolic notation. I've found LaTeX to be well suited to writing papers, letters and other documents that are not mathematical in nature, so it shouldn't be considered as primarily a format for mathematical writing. Rather, it's a high-quality typesetting system.

If you think your text is overly cluttered by LaTeX markup, you can try Pandoc Markdown (http://www.pandoc.org/) instead. While you lose a certain degree of control over visual presentation, Pandoc can convert your document into LaTeX, HTML, Open Document Format, Microsoft Word, EPUB 3, and other formats. It supports a subset of LaTeX mathematics notation.

>Learn LaTeX; look up the commands and symbols you need as you need them.
>It’ll make things easier in the long run.

I agree.

Please note: all opinions expressed above are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer, colleagues or other parties.

Thank you for your compliance.