[Blindmath] APH Field Test Opportunity

Li Zhou lzhou.backup at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 20:08:57 UTC 2016

Dear Teachers of the Visually Impaired:

    I’m writing to ask your help in identifying field testers for a
new APH project, an accessible version of the Snap Circuits Jr.
electronics kit.

    SC Jr. is an entry-level kit for learning about circuits, current,
resistance, switches, motors, and other basic electronics concepts. It
is sold in stores and is widely used in classrooms because the parts
are durable, colorful, and easy to assemble into projects that light
up, make sounds, and the like. Here is an online description of the
product:

    http://www.snapcircuits.net/products/product_details/snap_circuits_jr._100_experiments=MzUz#

    APH plans to offer an accessible version with the parts labeled in
braille and the pictorial instructions adapted into step-by-step
lists. We view this kit as a tool for learning, recreation, and
classroom inclusion. We have obtained a number of kits and are
preparing them to be sent out in early September for evaluation in
schools.

    Our ideal field tester would have some combination of the
following and must be willing to perform the evaluation during the
time specified (September – October):

    --Experience teaching science and/or physics to blind and VI students

    --Interest in teaching basic electronics, either in a curriculum
or as recreation/enrichment

    Will you help us by being an evaluator or putting us in touch with
others you know who may be interested? If so, we need the following
information:

    Name:

    Title/Position:

    Agency:

    Shipping address for materials:

    Ages/grade levels of students with whom you would test the materials:

    Number of blind or braille-reading students and number of
low-vision students:

    Science teaching experience:

    Experience teaching electronics:

    Familiarity with Snap Circuits or similar products:

    Please send contact information to me, and write back with any
questions you have. Thank you!

Fred

Frederick Otto
Tactile Literacy Project Leader