[Blindmath] Data on braille vs. speech use

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Mar 19 23:37:36 UTC 2016

Hi,

There are so many variables that I think it would be difficult to provide an
answer that is of value.  If one had the ability that Ken describes, it is
going to make doing math with speech easier.  If one is going to pursue math
seriously, I think one needs to at least get enough exposure to braill to be
able to fairly assess their own capabilities.  Having said that, I would
certainly not tell someone who could not learn braille that they should give
up on math.  There are people on this list who have shown that would be
wrong.

However, if one is looking for a way to know for sure that learning braille
would not be worth it, I just don't think it is possible to say with
certainty.  If one has the option, it makes sense to have as many tools in
one's box as one can get, and being able to take advantage of braille and
speech and figuring out where they fit in best in one's processes makes the
most sense to me.  In the case of math, I don't think one's reading speed
with braille is all that important.  In fact, since much of my use of
braille as an adult has been examining computer code and to a lesser degree
math, my reading speed has fallen because I tend to read for detail.If one
is considering in this discussion using a one line braille display, I think
braille's advantages are definitely smaller.  Being able to have multiple
lines available by embossing on paper is a big plus.  I hope we see that
multi-line braille display at some point.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson