[Blindmath] Data on braille vs. speech use

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 00:01:47 UTC 2016

Excellent points, Ken. I was ABD in math. Certain things were easy to do without braille such as proving certain theorems. I really had difficulty doing linear algebr with speech or even with refreshable braille. I needed to see the matrices.

Eventually, I did get fairly good at using speech for most things, but it had to be the right synthesizer, which, back in the day, was a Braille 'ñ Speak. I would turn on "most punctuation" and type things in LaTeX.

The big thing for me, though, was that even if I could do something with speech I really really needed to type on a braille keyboard I couldn't think mathematically when using a QWERTY keyboard. My fingers needed to form the braille numbers and symbols as I typed.

I also relied heavily on RFB&D books in college and grad school, because they were the most easily available. I remember transcribing some things from my linear algebra book into braille so I could see them, but at the time, that didn't seem like a big deal.

Angie

Sent from my iPhone

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/lacy925%40gmai